Monday, October 6, 2008

Here comes the bride....rome sweet rome

Rome!!! Note to everyone who told me rome sucked: you are all nay sayers! I loved rome, and it was somehow even less touristy then Florence. Now that I've made my peace, lets begin the tour.

First stop... train station.  We were allotted 30 minutes to get something to eat and familiarlize ourselves with the location of our hotel. We spent 10 minutes getting some pastries and the rest of the time in a book store. I found the book that I used to love looking at while at the borders in Ames. I took this picture for myself for later inspiration, but decided to include here for you all to enjoy.

  
Just a few pictures from the metro... everyone should get a metro
  
Rome may be forever confused with Florida. 
  
  
Here is the whole group that went on the Rome trip. If you like to notice details you are probably enjoying our hilarious tour guide in the back of the group waving.

  
There were a lot of these fake old roman/ sparta guys standing around. Many times they asked if I wanted a photo with them, but I think it was because they were charging for photos.. There would really be no other explanation why there were so many of them... This picture is also cut because of the two kids.. if they didn't look so cute holding hands, I may have considered them to be ruining this picture.. instead they complement it i think
Niki is overjoyed because she can see the Pantheon through a side street

  
Please take note of how cute our tour guide is.. oh and on the left is the pantheon :) haha

here is the first of I think 5 weddings that I saw this weekend. This one was on its own at the pantheon, how her husband pulled that off.. nobody knows.  Also the other 4 weddings I saw occurred within 2 minutes of each other... so basically every time I turned around there was another bride and groom passing me.

  
Inside the pantheon... this side braid is dedicated to James Judge. and no I don't know why.


   
I really don't remember the name of this church.. I promise I will figure it out.. unless I forget.

Now begins the journey through the Vatican. 3 hours and about 8 million paintings later, I was tired of taking pictures of statues and ceilings, so please forgive me for not including every interesting portion of the Vatican. But really I don't want to ruin it for you just in case you want to visit it yourself some day.

  
  
Courtyard of the Vatican. Again a small portion of the group waiting to begin the tour. It was raining.. Rome is kind of like Iowa, at times it was 80 degrees and at others it was around 50 degrees. 
  
Here we are standing with our umbrellas and experimenting with my color pick option on my camera.

  
  
again our tour guide.. whose name might have been close to something like... musacelli.. that could be ridiculously wrong though

I tried to take a picture of the hall of each room we passed through, so that you could feel as if you were actually taking the tour with me



 
now walking towards the sistine chapel



  
no pictures were allowed in the sistine chapel, but I pulled off getting this illegal and blurry and poor quality picture to give you an idea. 
I like this metro.. a lot
at the pizza party for arcadia.. Again I am not a part of Arcadia, but luckily they will let me pay to come to about anything haha

really it was a good deal
14 inch pizza
2 appetizers
wine/water/beer (I drank water just to let you know)
and dessert ( tiramisu was my choice) willy and ryan if you are reading this.. which you probably aren't you would be happy to know that nutella and creme was a choice and I didn't get it.

anyway the point is, that all of that was only 10 euro. Which in my opinion is a really good deal.. for italy anyway.

this was the end of day 1. Afterwards a bunch of people went to the Hookah bar, but since we have such a fancy one in Ames and plus the fact that I don't smoke hookah.... I decided to go back to the hotel and take a bath. You may be thinking and wondering why I am so lame. But when you live with 3 other people in a small apartment, with a small shower and no bathtub.. you would enjoy your alone time too. Not that I don't love living with Vivi :) 
  

  
  
Day 2: first stop, another chapel and of course I don't know the name of this one either. 
  
This one had an added feature! If you paid 50 cents then you could turn the light on! 

On the road looking down towards the Colosseum...

  
  

  
  
the colosseum was amazing as expected. But heres an added bonus to the visit. My body decided that I needed to go to the bathroom. Thankfully for tourism, they had installed bathrooms.. And let me say this is the first time I've ever seen a women's bathroom line that looked like it would take 20 minutes actually only take about 10. 

Another crew shot: Peter, Marie, Jessica, and myself
   
   
Our Advisor's daughter, Tori, who likes wine and strawberry and cream lollipops

   

   
this first wedding, we couldn't decide if it was a fashion shoot or an actual wedding. still to be determined and being researched.. this one I definitely won't get back to you on
There were so many weddings! There were two more that I didn't capture, but seriously 5 weddings all at the exact same time! Also notice how all of the brides could care less that they are dragging their dresses on the very dirty ground! crazy italians!

   
Here is my last tribute to all the weddings that day




   
In front of the Trevi Fountain. Amazingly huge fountain, and yes we threw a coin in so that we could return to Rome.
My very artistic display of the oil and vinegar aka Marie's life which = complicated

Andrew was obviously exhausted. Some guy mistook him for actually being in trouble and got out of his car to help. Just another way to lighten the reputation of us out of control americans!

Sorry I didn't write many comments on the pictures, but there were so many! Also I have been doing this for quite a long time now and I could use a break!

Next blog look forward to hearing about me getting my palm read!

big hugs!

also just to let you know I have only done the kiss kiss once while I've been here. That is either proof of the lack of italian friends I have made, or the amount of tourists that are here

Mckinley (dedicated to Joe and Melissa)


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mckenz you are so silly. Reading your blog is a good time. I wish I could go to italy! Miss ya!!

oh and btw, those baby pics of you and eric and allison and justin are uber creepy. haha.

Love!

Niki McNeill Brown said...

i am at the gelateria reading this and i just laughed out loud. people probably now think i'm as loony as i think you are! lol